Day 79: A Day of Several (Potential) Wins

After hitting a 5-day sleep streak yesterday, last night I logged my longest night of sleep in several months at just over 8 hours. I woke up a few times throughout the night, which, unfortunately, seems to be becoming a routine.

When I opened my laptop I saw several friends talking about the Brands Only Summit being run by this week. Before my injuries I was scheduled to speak at the event and was looking forward to seeing several friends who were attending.

While I am already gearing up my speaking schedule for next year, not being at the Brands Only Summit was unfortunate.

The morning started with a visit to the neurosurgeon. The last time I saw him was the day before I got my slings off. He was happy that I was no longer in slings. Based on how I have progressed he said there was no need to schedule a follow up appointment. He wants me to call him after my MRI in mid-November for a quick check-in but, for now, that’s it.

I really like our neurosurgeon but it was nice to hear that I’m healing well enough that I don’t need to schedule a follow-up. That was another win in this journey.

I received an unexpected call from the DMV today saying that their Driver Safety office needed to meet with me in-person next week. After going back and forth with them and my oncologist, who submitted the reexamination paperwork last Thursday, we scheduled an appointment for next Friday.

I inquired as to what the in-person meeting was needed for since I was told that my license was revoked for 6 months from the date of the seizures. The DMV said that they consider reinstatement on a case-by-case basis and that means that it could be less than 6 months.

I’m not sure what next Friday will bring but it would be a huge win to be able to drive again sooner than February.

The afternoon was filled with a few meetings, admin work and doing some cleaning ahead of my grandparents arriving tomorrow.

After dinner I completed mobilization work performing the couch stretch and doing work on my shins. I followed that up with physical therapy for my shoulders and working on increasing external rotation in my elbows.

For several of the exercises I used a 2-4 lbs resistance band. This made the exercises very hard to perform but I was still able to make it through everything I had planned.

Though I am appreciative of the process and what I’m able to do, I really wish I could workout harder. Unfortunately my shoulders won’t let me and probably won’t for another couple of months.

I have to continue celebrating the smaller wins such as using a resistance band but only being able to lift 2-4 lbs  is frustrating. However, every time I get frustrated I stay focused on how far we have come since August and how I am rebuilding myself over the months to come.

Overall it was a great Monday with several (potential) wins!