Day 449: Chest, Biceps, Ruck and Chemo

Sasha and Darren didn’t get the memo about turning the clocks back an hour so I was up at 5:50a this morning.  

After taking care of them, I headed to the gym. I figured if I was up early, I mind as well make it productive. 

Today’s lifting session was focused on chest and biceps: 


  • Barbell Bench Press: 1 x 12 reps (95 lbs), 1 x 8 reps (135 lbs), 2 x 6 reps (185 lbs, 195 lbs), 1 x 3 reps (205 lbs)
  • Dumbbell Incline Press: 1 x 10 reps (45 lb dumbbells), 2 x 8 reps (50 lb, 55 lb dumbbells), 1 x 5 reps (55 lb dumbbells)
  • Dumbbell Flyes: 3 x 15 reps (25 lb dumbbells)
  • Cable Crossover: 1 x 20 reps (50 lbs), 2 x 15 reps (60 lbs, 70 lbs)


  • Barbell Bicep Curls: 1 x 12 reps (20 lbs), 2 x 8 reps (45 lbs, 50 lbs), 1 x 6 reps (60 lbs)
  • Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curls: 3 x 8 reps (25 lb dumbbells)
  • Lying Concentration Bicep Curls: 1 x 15 reps (20 lbs), 2 x 15 reps (30 lbs)
  • Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 x 15 reps (15 lb dumbbells)

I felt very strong throughout my entire workout and it felt really good to crush a biceps workout again. 

I was happy that I made a jump in bench press over last week, increasing my lifts 10-30 lbs in three sets from the 175 lbs that I put up last week. 

My shoulders felt much better this week. I was able to lower the bar all the way down to my chest unlike last week. 

We only had a couple errands to run so as soon as Laura woke up we headed out. Usually we don’t head out until around 11:00a but today we were back by then.  

After lunch I slung my rucksack onto my back and we headed out for a 3.67 mile walk up Communications Hill for our normal Sunday walk. 

I was glad to have gotten in a second workout today, especially a ruck because my GORUCK Light is coming up two weeks from yesterday. 

I’ll try getting another few workouts in wearing my ruck but none will be able to fully prepare me since they won’t be the 8-10 miles that the Light lasts. However, I’m not worried because I am confident in my fitness level. 

We spent the rest of the day doing some cleaning, watching football and finishing the night off with watching the World Series. 

Tonight starts my ninth round of chemo. While in some ways it seems to have just started, in other ways it has been just as long as I imagined it would be. 

The first night jitters are here just like they have been the other eight times. I know that the next five days will be just like any day for me with the exception of having to deal with timing issues at night. But, there is always a bit of nervousness that this time something will change.  

We stay positive as we always have and take it one day, one round at a time. Come Thursday this round will be done and we’ll be looking forward to getting through the final 25%.