Day 403: A 15 Hour Work Day

The alarm went off an hour earlier than usual today since I had to be at my office for 6:30a. Surprisingly, that still allowed me to sleep for 6.75 hours. 

Any time you have to arrive at work for 6:30a you know that it is going to be a very long day. Luckily, I work with an amazing group of people that make it not feel like work even in the midst of craziness. 

It was a fast-paced day as we expected that included a keynote from our CEO, two presentations from our senior executives and their CTOs plus two customer presentations before breaking out into rotating product discussions. 

While I found all of the content informative and interesting, by far the coolest had to be finding out that Red Bull Racing was a customer of ours.  

The stats that their CIO was rattling off about how much information is disseminated by multiple control centers (onsite and offsite) during a race was unbelievable. Imagine a NASA control center but for a Formula 1 race. 

As has been the theme of the week so far, I ate everything in my path just to keep myself awake. It didn’t matter whether it was a muffin, a brownie or cheddar cheese - if I saw it, I ate it. 

We finished the day with a dinner at field level at Levi’s Stadium. Though I have been to a game in our suite before, being field level was a really cool experience.  

A few years ago I had the chance to be field level at Gillette Stadium as well with a number of friends who had come to speak at a conference that myself and Chris Brogan ran together along with our agency. 

By the time I left there it had been a 15 hour work day. Since I haven’t had any down time the past two days, by the time I get home it essentially felt like I have worked for 2 days straight. 

We go from this to Summit in January which gets busier than from that into Synergy in May which feels like working for 5 days straight and where several of us only get a few hours of sleep per night. 

I ended up having to park around a half mile away from my apartment by the time I got home since there were no available parking spots. Ah, one of the funs of living in an apartment. 

Tomorrow we get to arrive at the office 30 minutes later so I’ll be able to get a few extra minutes of sleep tonight. The analyst event ends tomorrow so it’ll get back to a normal schedule tomorrow evening.  

Though I haven’t had a chance to workout once this week, I am hoping to get in a slow paced 5k at least once before Saturday’s race at Levi’s Stadium to loosen up my muscles. I also need to stretch out my shoulders and do a bit of mobility work.