Day 331: Two Delays in Starting the Next Round of Chemo

I slept better than I did the previous night thus waking up feeling refreshed and ready to take on my first day back to work. I don’t drink coffee or tea in the morning therefore I rely heavily on how well I sleep.

Luckily I had the same phlebotomist that I usually have so it only took about 10 minutes to sign in, get my blood drawn and hop back in the car. He’s really good at hitting my vein on the first shot so I only feel a momentary needle prick compared to others I’ve had that try searching for a vein with the needle already in my arm. 

I had a few meetings today but otherwise tried keeping my schedule blocked off to give myself time to catch up. Right before heading out on vacation we had to pack up our offices for a move another building. So, once I got in today I had to take a bit of time to unpack and set everything back up. After that was done I dove into my inbox and started getting updates from my team on a number of key projects. 

By the end of the day the neuro-oncology team still hadn’t received the lab results back. 

Also, though I spoke with the pharmacy last Tuesday while we were in Mexico and they ship next-day, our leasing office didn’t have my chemo medication. Unfortunately they are only open until 5:00p ET so I will have to wait until tomorrow to call them to see what the issue is.  

Due to both issues it means that the soonest I can start my next round of chemo would be tomorrow but due to the issues (again!) with the pharmacy, I will likely not be able to start it until Wednesday thus meaning I won’t finish until Sunday. 

This is frustrating for multiple reasons including the fact that we have experienced ongoing issues with the pharmacy; it will mean that I’ll be on chemo over the weekend; and, lastly, it means that I will have under a week to recover before running my first Spartan race a week from this coming Saturday. 

While I’m not too worried about running the Spartan race since my body continues to handle the chemo fairly well, I still want to have a full week to recover. 

After dealing with all of that I went over to the gym to take out my frustration, channeling it to push my body hard: 


  • Dynamic Stretching
  • 10 double leg butt kicks

Main Set

  • 100 meter sprint
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 burpees
  • 5 band-assisted pull-ups
  • 30-second sprint
  • 1-minute rest

x2 rounds, followed by using a 12 lb medicine ball to complete 

  • 15 squats
  • lunge walk 50 yards
  • 10 chest passes
  • 10 underhand tosses
  • 1-minute rest

x2 rounds 

I was gasping for breath, having to take several minutes just sitting on a bench before I could even start my cool-down. It took my another 20 minutes or so before I stopped I stopped sweating. 

Though I was looking forward to starting my fifth round of chemo tonight, we’ll have to wait another 1-2 days until we can start.