Day 330: Getting Back to Working Out

It felt wonderful being back in our bed last night especially since we had a smaller bed on vacation than we do at home.

The fireworks continued for a while during the night which scared Sasha and she hid in the bathroom in our bedroom. Even though it was cooling down outside, we purposely kept the windows closed and air on to help muffle the noise.  

When I woke up later in the night I saw her back on her bed right next to me so that made me feel good. 

For some unknown reason both Sasha and Darren thought that 4:45a was a great time to start waking me up. Usually they start around 5:30a and I can hold them off until 6:30-7:00a but today it was all I could do to stay asleep until 6:00a. I finally gave up so that Laura could continue sleeping. 

Though I don’t believe solely in what the scale says, it does provide one metric to help judge how far off-track I went during vacation or how my body is continually changing.  

I didn’t take my body-fat percentage this morning but did hop on the scale to see that I gained between 6-8 lbs while on vacation. I’m guessing most of that is water weight that will be quickly lost this week with being back in the gym and eating healthy. 

I fed Sasha and Darren then I went over to the gym for my first post-vacation workout.  

Before starting I took considerable time to stretch out my shoulders which felt really good. It was exactly what they needed after a week of soreness in my left shoulder. 

I decided to use a workout that Men’s Health provided: 


  • Dynamic Stretching

Main Set

  • Overhead Alternating Reverse Lunge w/Side Bend (8 reps per leg)
  • Feet-Elevated Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press (8 per arm)
  • Medicine Ball Transfer (12 reps)
  • Offset Stepup Shoulder Press (8 per leg)
  • Mixed-Grip Inverted Row (8 reps)
  • Side-to-Side Glider Plank (10 per leg)
  • Single-Leg Straight-Leg Deadlift and Row (8 per side)
  • Weighted Half-Wiper (10 per side)
  • 1 minute rest

x3 rounds 

When I finished the first round I was exhausted and wasn’t sure if I’d be able to finish the other 2 rounds. Even though I had to break up the reps, I still finished all 3 rounds. I came back home exhausted and covered in sweat - exactly what I was hoping for. 

We had several errands to run after being gone for a week. I also had many things that I wanted to get done to start catching up including taking the first pass through my work email, processing my personal inbox and other similar tasks that will help this week to go smoother. 

My UP24 finally kicked the bucket today. During vacation the button had pushed inside of itself but the band kept working. I can still track my steps using the UP app for my Moto360 but won’t be able to track my sleep until I can either get a replacement from Jawbone or invest in a new band. 

We enjoyed watching the U.S. Soccer Women’s team take home the World Cup with a dominating performance against Japan. 

After a delicious healthy home cooked dinner we are now settled in watching Shark Week - one of our favorite weeks of the year for watching TV. 

Tomorrow morning includes stopping for blood work on my way in to my office. I’ll hear back by mid-day on the results of the tests and whether I have the green light to start the fifth round of chemo tomorrow night.