Day 256: My Check-In with the Orthopedic Surgeon

Since I wasn’t going in to the office today due to my doctor’s appointment, I was able to sleep in an extra 30-45 minutes, similar to what my schedule is on Fridays. That was especially nice because we stayed up later than usual last night.

The morning was a blur of back-to-back meetings leading right up until I had to leave to head up for the appointment.

We took X-rays like happens every time I go to see the orthopedic surgeon. I then met with him to review the X-rays and go through the same mobility checks we have been doing each time.

While I was getting my X-rays done, I was chatting with the X-ray tech about how far my shoulders have come over the past 8 months. 

When I got out of the hospital and had to go for my first check-in we took X-rays. To get the angles that he needed we had to slowly walk my fingers out to get my shoulder where it needed to be. Then he had to take the X-rays quickly because my body was shaking in pain.

My orthopedic surgeon said that my internal and external rotation still need work but that should continue to return over the next 4 months. 

In looking over my X-rays he said that the bones and tendons have fully healed, so much so that I don't even need the 2 screws that are in my shoulder. Obviously, the screws aren’t going to be removed but they aren’t needed for regular functioning.

He removed all restrictions including working out, playing sports and anything else that includes using my shoulders. I think he already knew that I was back up and running at full speed, though.

I told him about swimming while we were in St. Lucia and he asked me to send him the video as he wants to share it with his colleague at Harvard Medical School - the same doctor he consulted with during the first weeks of my injuries.

The appointment was a quick 20 minutes. Yes, I drove a total of 2.5 hours today for a 20 minute check-in but it was worth it. 

My next check-in will be in August, one year after my injuries. At that time, he said, he wants to discuss writing a journal article about this journey.

When I got back home I ran through some additional work before going over to the gym to knock out today’s WOD, which was the same main set from Monday. 

The only difference was that instead of breaking it into 2 sets with multiple rounds per set, it was all completed in one round before starting over again.


Main set:

  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 burpees
  • 5 pull-ups
  • 30-second sprint

1-minute rest

Then with a sandbag (substituted w/a 12 lb medicine ball)

  • 15 squats
  • 50 yard lunge walk
  • 10 chest pass/throw
  • 10 underhand toss

1 minute rest after each set of exercises, before repeating them.


I was able to accomplish 3 full rounds before finally collapsing. That was an additional set for the 2nd half of the round. On Monday I was able to accomplish 3 rounds of the first set and 2 rounds of the 2nd set but today I was able to finish 3 rounds of all exercises.

Again, I was able to complete all 15 pull-ups using a Monster band for assistance. The next time pull-ups are part of my workout, I am going to try seeing how many I can complete without the Monster band.

Though we usually go out for dinner on Thursdays, Laura and I decided to head out for boneless wings, beer and baseball tonight.