Day 217: The Final Day of the First Round of Chemo

The final day of chemo started with me sleeping in until 7:30a again like I have the other days this week.

Both when I woke up overnight and when I crawled out of bed this morning I did not feel any nausea. It’s almost as if my body knew that today was the last day. 

As soon as I woke up I headed to the gym for today’s Spartan WOD


Jump Rope – 3 minutes 

30 Star Jumps 

Main set 

120 minutes: Any combination of biking, swimming, and running. 

Cool down 


I scaled the main set down to 60 minutes of cardio since I don’t remember the last time that I did cardio for that long consistently.  

I split my 60 minutes up between 20 minutes running, 20 minutes biking and 20 minutes on an elliptical. I stretched for a couple of minutes in between as I transitioned to the next machine but otherwise kept going. 

Though it wasn’t the full 120 minutes that was dictated in the workout I was happy with my performance.  

Last week when there was a similar workout for 180 minutes of cardio I took it as a rest day to heal. 

Once back home from the gym I decided to celebrate my last day of the first round of chemo by doing our taxes.  

It’s this time of the year when not owning a home and not having a child or children becomes painful because we always owe a lot of money. 

With the taxes finished up we headed out to one of our favorite shopping areas so that we could watch the UCONN men’s basketball game. 

I don’t follow college basketball too closely until March Madeness but try to watch as many games as possible during this month, especially the UCONN games since that is where both of us graduated from - me with my Master’s and Laura with her undergraduate. 

While watching the basketball game I decided to have a beer to see how my body would handle it and also as a mini-celebration to finishing the first round of chemo. 

In all of the research that I did on the type of chemo I’m taking it cautioned to drink moderately or not at all. 

During this past week I didn’t have any alcohol since I didn’t want to tempt fate with how well I was tolerating the chemo. But, today I decided to see how my body would react and I didn’t have any side effects at all. 

Once back home we decided to have a fun night watching movies in bed with snacks.  

Typically we do all of our TV watching in the living room but thought that tonight it would be fun to crash in bed.